11 Things to Know About Cal Grants

A Cal Grant is money California students can use for college that doesn’t have to paid back. You will need to apply with FAFSA or the CADAA (California Dream Act Application). The money can be used at any career or technical schools, any California Community College, the University of California, or California State University.  Once eligibility has been determined, you will be notified of possible grant awards.

1. Are You Eligible?

To find out if you are eligible for the grant you’ll need to meet several requirements. You must be a U.S. citizen, eligible non-citizen, or AB 540 – eligible and be a resident in California at the time of high school graduation. Males must meet U.S. selective service requirements and will need to enroll in and attend a Cal -eligible school. You will also need to maintain at least part-time status and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students need to have a financial need and be enrolled in a program leading to a certificate or undergraduate degree. A student cannot have already earned a bachelor’s degree or higher. Both student and parent income cannot exceed the asset ceiling. In addition, you cannot owe a refund on state or federal education grants or have defaulted on a student loan. You cannot be incarcerated.